The government released the signed agreement for lasting peace!
The Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (the Government) and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (the TPLF) (together referred to as the Parties) agree to the following terms;
Article 1 – Objectives
The objectives of this Agreement are to:
1) Reach an immediate and Permanent Cessation of Hostilities with a view to silencing the Guns and creating a conducive environment and laying the foundation for sustainable peace;
2) Restore the constitutional order disrupted due to the conflict in the Tigray Region;
3) Reject violence as a method of resolving political differences;
4) Guarantee security for all;
5) Ensure a lasting settlement of the conflict;
6) Provide a framework for addressing matters arising out of the conflict;
7) Provide a framework to ensure accountability for matters arising out of the conflict;
8) Foster reconciliation and the rehabilitation of social bonds;
9) Facilitate economic recovery and reconstruction;
10) Commit to addressing the underlying political differences;
11) Provide a framework for monitoring and verification of the implementation of the Agreement.
Article 2 – Principles
Underpinning the The Parties shall be guided by the following principles:
a. Respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and unity of the of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE);
b. Legality and respect for constitutional norms and principles enshrined in the FDRE Constitution:
c. Respect for fundamental human rights
d. Protection of civilians:
e. Respect for the African Charter on Democracy, Elections, and Governance;
f Accountability and justice in accordance with Transitional Justice Policy Framework;
g. Unhindered humanitarian access to all in need of assistance;
h. The use of humanitarian aid exclusively for humanitarian purposes.
i. Reconciliation and rehabilitation;
J. Relief and Reconstruction
K. Good faith commitment in the implementation of the Cessation of Hostilities and all subsequent stages of the peace process.
Article 3 – The Permanent Cessation of Hostilities
1) The Partics commit to and declare an immediate and Permanent Cessation of Hostilities, and undertake to disengage forces or armed groups under their control;
2) This Permanent Cessation of all forms of hostilities shall include, among others; the cessation of overt and covert acts of violence: laying of mines; sabotage; airstrikes; direct or indirect acts of violence; and subversion or use of proxies to destabilize the other party or collusion with any external force hostile to either party;
3) The Permanent Cessation of hostilities shall include the cessation of all forms of hostile propaganda, rhetoric, and hate speech;
4) The Permanent Cessation of Hostilities shall pave the way for the restoration of the constitutional order in the Tigray Region and political dialogue between the Parties;
5) The Parties agree to restore the presence of federal authority in Mekelle in order to create conducive environment for the resumption of public services in the region as well as to ensure the safety of the inhabitants of the city. To this effect, the Parties agree that the ENDF and other relevant Federal Institutions shall have an expeditious, smooth, peaceful, and coordinated entry into Mekelle, which shall be facilitated through the open communication channel to be established between the senior commanders of the Parties as per Article 6 (c) of this Agreement.
Article 4 – Protection of Civilians
1) The Parties shall protect the human rights of the civilian population and commit to upholding applicable international humanitarian law instruments to which Ethiopia is a party;
2) The Parties shall, in particular, condemn any act of sexual and gender-based violence, any act of violence against children, girls, women and the elderly, including recruitment and conscription of child soldiers, and support family reunification.
Article 5 – Humanitarian Access
1) The Government of FDRE shall expedite the provision of’ humanitarian aid in collaboration groups including women, children
2) The Parties undertake to humanitarian agencies to assist
3) The Govemment of FDRE undertakes to facilitate the return and reintegration of internally displaced persons and refugees, whenever the security situation permits:
4) The Parties shall ensure that humanitarian aid is used
Article 6 – Disarmament, Demobilization, and Reintegration (DDR)